Marriage and Fiance Visas

Marriage Visas: K-3 Visa, CR-1, IR-1

Marriage Visas permit the spouses of U.S. citizens to lawfully enter and reside in the United States. Historically, many of these visas processed were K-3 visas which allowed the immigrant spouse to enter the Unites States in order to complete the immigration process. However, currently, K-3 visas are no longer being processed for a variety of reasons. Instead, Marriage Visas are currently processed as either CR-1 (Conditional Resident) or IR-1 (Immediate Relative ) Visa. If you have been married for two years or more at the time the visa is issued then you will receive an IR-1 visa. However, if you have been married for less than two years at the time of issuance then a CR-1 Visa will be provided, and prior to the expiration of the visa, you will be required to file a separate form to remove the conditions and convert the 2 year resident status to permanent resident status.

K-1 Visa: Fiancé Visa

K-1 visas permit U.S. citizens to bring their foreign fiancés into the United States in order to marry. Under a K-1 visa, your foreign fiancé is allowed to reside and work in the United States.Once your fiancé enters the U.S., you and your fiancé have 90 days to marry and apply for permanent residency.

In order to obtain a K-1 visa, certain requirements must be met, such as:

  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen
  • Both you and your foreign fiancé are free to get legally married
  • You met your fiancé within the past two years
  • Both you and your fiancé have intentions to marry within 90 days of your fiancé's arrival in the U.S.
  • You meet the minimum income/financial requirement
  • Your fiancé does not meet any criteria that render him/her inadmissible to the U.S.

K-2 visas are available for your fiancé's children who are under the age of 21 and not married.

The application process for marriage and fiancé visas can be complicated and at times frustrating. At the Immigration Law Office of William M. Cavanaugh, we have extensive experience handling marriage and fiancé visas, and can make the process for you and your fiancé much easier. We have experience in dealing with the U.S. consulates, and know what documentation will be required to ensure the visa is approved. If you are in need of an experienced Immigration attorney to assist you with filing a marriage or fiancé visa, call the Law Office of William M. Cavanaugh at (561) 283-2196 today for a initial consultation. Our office is located in West Palm Beach and we have extensive experience assisting clients in West Palm Beach, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Lake Worth, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach and Boca Raton to petition for their foreign spouses/fiancés.